Are you hungry? Recipes for National Panini Month | Home & Garden
August is National Panini Month, and that gives good reason to celebrate in your kitchen. Why? Paninis are easy to make, even if you have no panini maker; those gadgets are a new invention, anyway. People have been making paninis for years, using heavy skillets to press the toasty sandwiches down to flatten them a bit.
Also, paninis can be made in sweet or savory versions; fruit and Nutella, for example can be a sweet treat, or arugula, garden tomatoes and prosciutto can be a nice change from the typical BLT.
Paninis can also be made to be a healthy choice for lunch if you're trying to watch your weight. If Elvis had eaten a panini made with a banana and a thin layer of natural peanut butter instead of his favorite fried banana sandwich, he might not have taken so much heat about his weight gain later in life. Who knows?
Here are a few recipes to help you celebrate National Panini Month in good taste:
Spicy Barbecue steak panini with crispy onions
By Texas Beef Council
Pre-heat Panini grill to high, or use a skillet plus a cast iron skillet to press down with.
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 hoagie buns, split
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4-oz leftover grilled steak, thinly sliced (about 6 slices)
- 2-oz smoked Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chipotle barbecue sauce
1. In a deep, heavy skillet, heat about 2 inches of oil over high heat until it registers 375›F on thermometer
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add onion and toss to lightly coat, shaking off and discarding excess flour. Carefully transfer onion rings to the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm.
3. Place buns, cut side down, on a work surface and brush crusts with butter. Turn buns over and spread mayonnaise over bottom halves. Evenly layer with steak, cheese and 1 cup of fried onions. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Cover with top halves and press gently to pack.
4. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately, with the remaining fried onions on the side.
Jennifer's Favorite Sandwich
- Provolone Cheese
- Shredded Chicken (Rotisserie)
- Tuscan Bread
- Chipotle Chili Pepper
Mash avocados into a spread in one bowl. In another bowl combine the mayonnaise and chipotle chili pepper to taste. Take bread and spread avocado on one side. Top it with the chicken, then cheese. On the other slice spread on the chipotle mayonnaise then cover with pepperoni. Combine the two slices of bread to make your sandwich then put on the Panini grill until golden brown.
Vegetarian Breakfast Panini:
YIELD: 6 panini
- 12 eggs
- 1 c sliced tomatoes
- 1 c fresh spinach (rinsed, sorted & chopped)
- Swiss cheese
- Dill bread
Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes and spinach to the eggs. Butter the baking pan and pour the egg mixture into the baking pan. Bake until eggs are firm but not dry, about 6 minutes at 375¢ª. Set eggs aside and allow to cool for about 3 minutes. Placed cooked eggs on cutting board and cut into squares. Place the eggs on the dill bread, top with swiss cheese and place the other pice of dill bread on top. Grill for 4 minutes until golden brown.
Lightened-Up Dessert Panini for one
- One large peach
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- two ounces light cream cheese, room temperature
- sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar
- Light (40 calorie) wheat bread, or one-half of a whole wheat pita bread
Spray medium-hot skillet with cooking spray. Place one slice of bread onto skillet, top with thinly sliced cream cheese, then add peaches and blueberries. Top with second slice of bread. (alternatively, stuff ingredients into the pita half, then grill on each side.)
Grill each side for about three minutes.
Decadent Dessert Panini
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 8 slices white bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 2 bananas, sliced lengthwise
- 16 marshmallows, cut in halves
- softened butter
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the grill to medium-low.
- Heat hazelnut spread, so that it lightly coats the back of a spoon.
- Spread all slices of bread with a thin layer of hazelnut spread.
- Apply banana slices to 4 pieces of bread and marshmallows to the remaining 4 pieces.
- Take 1 slice of bread with banana, and 1 with marshmallows and press them together, making a sandwich. Repeat.
- Apply a light layer of butter to each side of the sandwiches.
- Place each sandwich on the pre-heated grill for 2 minutes per side.
- Once cooked, cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal.
- Put sandwiches on a platter and dust with powdered sugar.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- City of Lindale to Host Two Christmas Events in December for Community Participation
- Fire destroys family home, but family Bible survives the flames
- Heirloom family Bible safely retrieved from burned Smith Co. home
- Top 10 reasons I'm thankful to be part of a farming family
- East Texas restaurants serving on Thanksgiving Day