Try this fruit tart to celebrate National Cherry Tart Day | Community Spirit
June 18 is National Cherry Tart Day, and I have an easy recipe to share with you to help you celebrate the day deliciously!
Grab some pre-made pie crust dough if you don't have time to make your own; it works just as well!
Mama Steph’s rustic fruit galette
For the crust:
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 oz (1/2 cup, 1 stick, 8 Tbsp) butter, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes, chilled in freezer at least 15 minutes, preferably an hour
4 to 6 Tbsp ice water
(tip: if you’re pressed for time, use a pastry crust from the refrigerator section; that’s what I used and what you see in the picture! It’s delicious; however, if you have time, it’s fun to try to make your own crust.)
For the filling:
2-3 peaches, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, cherries, blackberries, or other favorite fruit
3 TBS sugar
1 TBS plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp almond extract
2 tsp butter
Place fruit in a medium bowl, add sugar, flour and extract, and mix gently to coat all the fruit.
Roll chilled pastry dough out to about a 12″ circle on a floured surface. Gently place on rimmed baking sheet. (adding a sheet of parchment to the baking sheet will help to easily remove the galette after baking; optional.)
Arrange fruit in a circle in the center of the pastry crust; leave about 4 inches uncovered along the outside edge, all the way around, of the pastry for folding over the fruit.
Fold the sides of the pastry over the fruit in an accordion fashion.
Brush the pastry crust folds with beaten egg, and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned.
Remove from oven and place on cooking rack for 15 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man who brought Ben Wheeler back to life passes away
- Son who shot suspected burglar: 'I wasn't going to have my dad die in front of me'
- Investigators release identity of woman killed in house explosion
- Sheriff: Son shoots burglar to save father's life during stand-off
- Got your girl a gun for Christmas? ETX gun club is 'ladies only'
- Firefighter Joe Yeakley benefits this weekend offer opportunities to help
- What's going on in East Texas this weekend? January 23-26
- Lindale business owner launches sign campaign opposing 'relief route'
- Fund set up for firefighter critically injured in early morning fire
- Walmart robbery suspect Bowers also charged with earlier assault