Bargain Barn Antiques: Vintage, creative and fun on a budget | Business
There's a place in Mineola that I almost hate to tell everyone in East Texas about, because as soon as the cat is out of the bag, my secret source of all things vintage, quirky, and fairly-priced will be a secret no more.
But I'm doing it anyway.
The Bargain Barn Antiques and Furniture truly is what the name implies: a barn full of bargains. The big red metal barn was opened 21 years ago by James and Ruby Hollis. They owned several businesses over the years prior to opening the Bargain Barn, including an auto salvage yard/car lot and a drive-in grocery store.
The first time I walked in this place, I felt as if I were walking back in tiime for a little while, with all the beautiful, homey dishes and quilts that felt like a visit to grandmother's house. I've bought several things there over the past couple of years, including a piece of art for my kitchen, and a rooster tea pot, pictured below. (He went home with me!)
When I went in the Hollis' store last weekend, Ruby was at the counter helping a lady who was looking for a certain piece of china, and she had certainly come to the right place. She found what she needed, as well as a few more unique, vintage things.
If you are looking for old china patterns, stoneware bowls, old tools, cast iron cookware, furniture from across many different decades, jewelry, pottery, artwork, or even broken-in cowboy boots, you will find something that you'll love at The Bargain Barn. It's worth a drive from your town to get there soon.
While you're in Mineola, there are many other antiques shops to check out, including another favorite of mine, Uniques and Antiques, located at 124 S. Line Street.
The Bargain Barn is located at 635 West Broad Street in Mineola. Ruby and James can be reached by calling 569-0951.
Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- TxDOT crews haul hundreds of tons of salt from ETX to help thaw DFW
- After months of controversy, Edgewood City Council takes action
- At least one person dead after motorcycle crash in Van Zandt County
- Video: Does aging equal giving up style, creativity?
- What's going on in East Texas this weekend? Nov. 8-10
- City of Lindale to Host Two Christmas Events in December for Community Participation
- Fire destroys family home, but family Bible survives the flames
- Heirloom family Bible safely retrieved from burned Smith Co. home
- Top 10 reasons I'm thankful to be part of a farming family
- East Texas restaurants serving on Thanksgiving Day