What happened today in Texas history? September 27 | Arts & Culture
Today in Texas history was rather explosive!
On this day in 1835, Mexican military commander of Texas Domingo de Ugartechea dispatched Francisco de Castañeda and 100 dragoons to retrieve a cannon at Gonzalez. This led to the Battle of Gonzalez on October 2 which is considered the opening battle of the Texas Revolution. They referred to the cannon later as the "come and take it" cannon.
1948 - The first television station in Texas (and across the whole south, actually), WBAP-TV in Fort Worth, began operations. The first thing to air? A speech by then President Harry Truman. The station originated from Fort Worth's first radio station, WBAP, which was established in 1922. Its owner was Amon Carter, who also owned the Fort Worth Star Telegram.
1993 - According to on-this-day.com, Texas U.S. Senator Kay Baily Hutchinson was indicted on charges that she misused state facilities and employees while she was the Texas state treasurer. The charges were later dropped.
Today's Texas quote: Texas history is as varied, tempestuous, and vast as the state itself. Texas yesterday is unbelievable, but no more incredible than Texas today. Today's Texas is exhilirating, exasperating, violent, charming, horrible, delightful, alive. ~ Author Edna Ferber, 1955
Today's video is Willie Nelson's tune simply entitled, Texas.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man who brought Ben Wheeler back to life passes away
- Son who shot suspected burglar: 'I wasn't going to have my dad die in front of me'
- Investigators release identity of woman killed in house explosion
- Sheriff: Son shoots burglar to save father's life during stand-off
- Got your girl a gun for Christmas? ETX gun club is 'ladies only'
- Firefighter Joe Yeakley benefits this weekend offer opportunities to help
- What's going on in East Texas this weekend? January 23-26
- Lindale business owner launches sign campaign opposing 'relief route'
- Fund set up for firefighter critically injured in early morning fire
- Walmart robbery suspect Bowers also charged with earlier assault